Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Experiment Stage

 June 4, 2011 

The day we purchased the Bug.
This was just after we took Maddie for her first drive.

June 5, 2011

Doug taking the Rhino Lining fender off so I can start
stripping it. 
We decided, as a start, to try painting one fender 
with the Rustoleum roller method of painting to see 
if it's worth trying to paint the Bug ourselves. 
If it works, the savings will be over $300.00 

 After reading on dozens of forums, I decided to attempt 
to salvage the fenders. New fenders would cost $90.00 each.
The remover and scraper was $33.00. If this works, it will save us
$327.00.

I wore thick dish washing gloves, and followed the directions 
on the can of Aircraft Remover.
5 minutes after applying the remover with a polyester 
paint brush, it begins to bubble and is ready to be scraped off.

For stubborn patches, I used a razor blade. 
The Aircraft Remover worked wonders.
Remember the gloves! It really stings if it comes
in contact with your flesh. Half way through the process,
I changed into long sleeves, pants, socks, and sneakers.

It takes time and elbow grease, but you will 
eventually be able to get all the Rhino Lining off.
It took about 2 hours, but I was able to save the fender.
I figure I payed myself $25.00 an hour by doing the 
work instead of buying a new fender.

The next step is to Bondo one small dent on the fender I stripped, then I will sand it. When Doug gets home tomorrow night, he will start the first step in a 4 day process of painting the fender. If all goes well, we will be repeating it on the entire Bug..... Exciting things to come! 

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!!! So proud of your hard work!!! We wish you so much good luck.....I would never even thought that such an undertaking would be possible!!! Fun to see and to read about!!! Thanks for letting us in on it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete