Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Painting the Test Fender


It took a full day, but I got the fender sanded smooth.
I did the first half without the mask....
after a couple hours I started hacking.
I decided a trip to Home Depot was in order.


Just finishing up the final spots. I read on another blog that when 
you think you are done sanding, you need to sand more.
I sanded a lot more.


Notice the light spot above the headlight area. That is one
of the two dents I had to Bondo. It was my first time using 
Bondo, and it was easier than I thought it would be.

The paint is an Ace Hardware brand of Rustoleum. We had to 
use this brand because it was the only one we could custom tint.
After wiping down the fender with 100% mineral spirits (also hard
 to find because of new EPA restrictions, I could only find it 
at Ace Hardware) we wiped it with a tack cloth. 

Then Doug mixed the paint with the mineral spirits to thin it out.
 This apparently helps it to settle into MINOR imperfections, helping 
it to finish flat. He uses just enough so that when he dips a spoon in, 
it takes 3 seconds to drip completely off.


Using a high density 4 inch foam roller, he is rolling the thinned paint 
onto the fender. If there are a bunch of tiny bubbles you want to
make sure they pop. The best way to accomplish that is by using
a hair dryer to heat the bubbles until they pop. It doesn't take much 
if you set your dryer to high heat.


More painting and drying. My hair dryer was red, now ti's red 
and orange. This was the first coat of 6. We'll keep posting.


Maddie was inside resting while Doug was painting the fender.
When she came out, she nearly pooped her pants with how good it 
looked. I snapped this just after she threw her arms around her pop
giving him a thank you hug. 

I guess sanding all day long for two straight days doesn't warrant 
a hug. 

Materials used today: 
Bondo bonding putty $10.50 HD
80 grit sandpaper (20 sheets) $14.99 HD
sanding block $3.75 WM
latex gloves (30 gloves) $2.69 WM
respiratory mask (5 pk) $1.69 HD
100% mineral spirits $6.89 AH
tack cloth $1.99 HD
Ace Hardware oil based enamel (one quart) $8.99 AH 
4" high density foam roller (2 pk) $3.49 WM
roller handle $3.49 WM
Hairdryer $9.99 WM
Shop towels (10 pk) $3.49 WM
HD = Home Depot
WM = Walmart
AH = Ace Hardware

No comments:

Post a Comment